Monday, July 25, 2011

Novodevichy Convent revisited!


This photo shows the Belfry on the right (built 1689-1690) and Prokhorov Chapel in the foreground (built 1911). 


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novodevichy_Convent

When I started writing this post, I thought the name Novodevichy Convent was quite familiar. Then I realized I had received another postcard of this convent, and discovered it was more than a year ago. My previous card was a winter scene. Here is the link to my previous post on that card:

http://acollectionofpostcards.blogspot.com/2010/07/novodevichy-convent-moscow.html

Here is what I wrote about this Convent:

The location itself has quite an interesting history.  The Novodevichy Convent was founded in 1524, and originally built as a fortress. In the years following, it has served as a fortress, a convent and monastery, a shelter for royal Russian ladies (those that had to "take the veil"), a military hospital, orphanage, museum and apartments. There is also a cemetery on the grounds.  In 1812, Napoleon's army tried to  destroy it, and Tolstoy used it as a setting for scenes in both 'War and Peace' and 'Anna Karenina'.





No comments:

Post a Comment