Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bremerhaven ~ "Gate to the World"

Arriving on May 3, 2010 was this postcard from Bremerhaven, Germany.


The main view in this card is the Columbus Cruise Center.  These days tourists take cruise ships all over the world from here, but in the 19th and 20th centuries over 7 million people emigrated to America from here.  Bremerhaven was the largest German emigration port. The top left photo shows the German Emigration Center. Here, my sender tells me, the process of their emigration is told, as well as the life histories of some of the emigrants.

Here is the German Emigration Center's website:

I have German ancestors (two of my great-grandmother's were from Germany) and my husband is of German ancestry as well.  This would be a very interesting place for us to visit!




This flower is known as a bleeding heart:





2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'll have to take a better look at yours when I get the chance. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm happy to discover other postcard blogs. It's like discovering a whole new world!

    ReplyDelete