Friday, July 2, 2010

Oostpoort, Delft

This is the "Eastern Gate" in Delft, Netherlands.  It was built around 1400, and is the only city gate remaining in Delft (I cannot seem to find how many gates there were originally).  This card arrived on May 15, 2010.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Gate_(Delft)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delft

Delft is a city in the province of South Holland.  Well-known persons from Delft include Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (the father of microbiology and developer of the microscope ~ which I think is very cool), and Johannes Vermeer (painter, well known for works such as 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' and 'The Milkmaid').  I am learning so much about the Netherlands. I am told that I am of Dutch descent. In my reading, I had seen that the people in the Netherlands call themselves "Nederlanders", and that only in English are they known as "Dutch".

Here's a link to a postcard I received from the Netherlands where I learned about the different provinces.  North Holland and South Holland are two of twelve provinces:   acollectionofpostcards.blogspot.com/2010/06/groeten-uit-noord-holland.html

Here is the stamp from this postcard:


No comments:

Post a Comment